Outdoor Furniture: 3 Tips for Creating an Outdoor Retreat
Outdoor furniture shouldn’t just be waterproof and practical. It should also offer maximum comfort and a style that matches your home and taste. Here are three tips for finding the perfect outdoor furniture.
1. Outdoor furniture for every yard and garden
It’s easy to divide your yard into different practical spaces using the right outdoor furniture.
- Terrace: A dining table with matching chairs is a must have. Look for models that are water-resistant. The best ones are usually made of plastic, aluminum or stainless steel (especially nice with a glass top).
- Chill-out zone: Create a relaxing atmosphere with reclining chairs, breezy hammocks, swing seats (stylish in retro looks) and lounge chairs.
- Covered area (think pergola or conservatory): These spaces look great with chic rattan furniture and with high-quality solid wood accents such as teak or acacia. Our tip: Both hard and softwood look their best when regularly oiled.
2. Outdoor furniture necessities
Don’t forget to think about comfort when choosing your outdoor furniture. Even the nicest pieces will go unused if they’re uncomfortable. The appropriate accessories are a must.
- Cushions: These are great for both the back and the seat, and are flexible enough to use with many different styles. Practical advantages: A few cushions stacked on top of each other also make a great booster seat.
- Cotton cushions: These are especially comfortable on the skin in warm temperatures. Pay attention to the waterproofing!
- Cushions made of artificial fibers (think polyester): With these you don’t have to worry about waterproofing. They’re robust, don’t fade, and are easy to wash. Don’t forget: High back seats require larger cushions than your standard stacking chair.
3. Outdoor furniture sets
When you’re looking for a cohesive look in color and style, furniture sets are the perfect choice. That way the table and chairs are coordinated and are much cheaper when bought as a set.
- Garden tables with chairs: These are space-saving and practical. They can be stackable or foldable and some seats are adjustable.
- Picnic-style tables: These tables and their benches are perfect for garden parties and a classic choice for any type of outdoor gathering. They usually have a metal frame, making them easy to fold up and store. Seasonal fabric covers are also available.
- Lounge group: These are usually made of poly rattan and are great for a large yard or terrace. Thick upholstered cushions add extra comfort.
While the range of outdoor furniture is huge, all styles have a few things in common. They must be water resistant, comfortable, and fit your home and style.